Two-year-old hospitalised after consuming cannabis cookie dough

By July 20, 2021 Recent News

Stuff 20 July 2021
A South Canterbury man has pleaded guilty to making cannabis cookie dough balls that were accidentally consumed by a 2-year-old, rendering the child unresponsive for 18 hours.

Kyle Eddie White, 28, appeared before Judge Joanna Maze at the Timaru District Court on Tuesday.

He pleaded guilty to a charge of manufacturing a class B drug under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

According to the police summary of facts, White made the cookie dough balls at the home where he was living with a female associate and her three children, on or about October 7, 2020.

“White used a slow cooker to make cannabis leaf into cannabis butter, which he then used to bake chocolate-covered cookie dough balls,” the summary says.

When he had finished making the cookie dough balls, he placed them into the fridge in a plastic lunchbox container.

“The following day the 2-year-old took the container from the fridge and ate an unknown quantity of the cookie dough balls.”

The child was subsequently rendered unconscious due to the effects of the cannabis and was admitted to hospital where they “remained in a completely unresponsive state for 18 hours”.